World Premiere @ShonDenay "On The Rock" EP!!


Singer and Songwriter from Las Vegas, Nevada Shon Denay been in the music scene for a while and 2018 is definitely happens to be her year right now. Songstress is here to share something special with you which is her debut EP On The Rock includes eight tracks. 

With a distinctively unique yet soothing voice; Shon Denay embodies the vintage and earthy sounds of past Jazz artists from the early mid-20th century. If you want to show Shon Denay full support, go purchase her EP on iTunes and share it on social media and tell your friends about her. Honestly, I do see Shon Denay making a great impact as an artist in the couple years, I think she should stay independent and wait for the right moment for the label to sign her and be perfect for her career, Shantel good luck!

For more information, Follow Shon Denay on her social media and stay tuned for more new music soon. Please read the interview below and give me your feedback.


Shon Denay's Social Media:
Website: www.shondenay.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ShonDenay
Instagram: www.instagram.com/ShonDenay
FaceBook: www.facebook.com/ShonDenay
Sound Cloud: www.soundcloud.com/ShonDenay
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/shondenay

On The Rock Q & A:
1) What's your full background? Who is Shon Denay?

SD: Just a little lady from Las Vegas, NV USA. I love cats, horror movies and whiskey. I sing Neo-Soul and write songs. Been based out of the Sin City for the past three 23 years. I was involved in a lot of high school plays/benefit shows, sang alto in church choir and was in a few dance troupes. Outside of school, I'd write poetry... lots of poetry which lead me to winning a few national writing contests. Umm.. Karaoke was the way of life throughout all my 20's which helped me with my horrible social anxiety. Fast forward 15 years and here I am now. A woman who may be small in stature but my presence is big. As long as I remember to trust my instincts and protect myself I will be able to conquer this blue world. Thus the reason why my Shon Denay logo symbolizes Trust (feather) and Protection (arrow).

2) What came to you to become who you are as a young female artist?

SD: Throughout all of my 20's, I was on a long road to nowhere. I was hurting from my mother's passing and desperately tried to find anything to fill the void. I'd roll from one foolish choice to another which ultimately snowballed me into a deep depression. I call them lessons now but they were major L's at the time. I lacked the understanding of the true value of myself or that I am worth my weight in gold so I let a lot of people take advantage.

Thankfully, in my 30's I've been introduced to so many strong women which gave me the strength to find my path to self-discovery and acceptance. Yes, I am still the shy girl next door who got lost for a bit on her journey but I am surviving, thriving and shining now. This also opened my eyes to the fact that my story can help others heal. So, even if it is to show just one person that they are not alone then I am winning.

3) Was there any activities that you were involved in before music?

SD: I was a hip-hop dancer from 2001-2008. Illusion at Palo Verde and Twisted Dance Troupe. I did a lot of theater and school spirit productions.

4) What type of artist do you want the fans to see you as a new upcoming?

SD: I have always had a love for the Neo Soul artists from the early 2000's and would sing them often at karaoke. Something about the feel-good vibes resonated to my core so when I express myself, the only sounds that come out of me are more Neo Soul/Nu Soul. I want them to see my as a flawed human being who is making the best of what life threw at them with a smile. See that it is possible to be silly, sexy and serious at the same time.

5) Why the title On The Rocks for the EP? What's the meaning behind it?

SD: The title has dual meaning. When I started on this lyrical journey, I would write songs based on my own experiences with love, lust, codependency, love loss or my friend's love stories so each track was independent to themselves. Somehow or another, once I started to record them, I noticed that together a story was unfolding. I could literally visualize a relationship on the rocks. Then I thought....My name sounds like alcohol anyway. Shon Denay...Chardonnay. YUP, it's official the debut EP will be dubbed On The Rocks.

6) How many tracks? Any features? Who are the producers you work with?

SD: There is a total of 7 actual songs on the EP plus an intro. The main producer of the EP is the 2015/2016 Academy Beat League Champion Bosie T "Thursty". Comeback was going to be a bonus track but once it was completed, we decided it was a perfect end to the On The Rocks storyline. Bryan Richard from Amsterdam Netherlands is featured on Comeback. We are also both a part of the Revolution Radio 2.0 Indie family. Again which was the first single to drop, was produced by PS from Campfire and co-produced by Bosie T.

7) What type of emotions are the listeners going to hear on this project?

SD: It's like an emotional roller coaster. A bit passive aggressive. I want them to feel lust and anxiety, pain and anger mixed with a little bit of anguish and then triumph. The complexity of human emotions wrapped in groovy beats.

8) Is there a song on the EP that you had hard finishing, letting out that real cry emotions and say to yourself "wow I can't believe this record was so hard for me"?

SD: "Should I" is the one that was about to make me quit music before I even started. This was the one track recorded and it took 13 hours of studio time to finish. I went into the studio with absolutely no idea of the amount of work that was needed to bring a track to life. Let alone the harmonies, letting a track breathe, and knowing the difference of singing a song and sang a song. I stretched my ability to it's limits and by no means was it a cheap undertaking. I was about to just say forget about it all but I knew these songs were bigger than me. I had to expand my comfort-ability levels, remember I can only be me and trust in my vocal ability.

9) How important is this project to you and why?

SD:  Extremely! This is the debut EP! My first completed project. I have been on collaboration before but to finally say, this is it....this is me...this is what Shon Denay is all about is bananas. I have always been a start but never a finisher and to finally have a finished product feels amazing. I know the sound we are presenting is not quite what people are used to but there is no denying the reliability to the stories and the raw emotion of the vocals.

10) If you would write a song or do a record with any of your favorite artist, who would it be?

SD: There are a ton of underground artists that I would love to work with around the globe but to name a few it would be: Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, Andre 3000, Musiq Soulchild, Common, Mos Def, Tall Black Guy and Tom Misch. 

11) What are your thoughts on female rappers and singers that don't get enough credit in the industry just because of their skin color Also talk about how fans are always putting female artist against another female artist.

SD: I have a lot to say about the way female artists are being perceived/represented in an industry that is dominated by our male counterparts but I'll save that for another interview. It is an interesting path to say the least. I personally had to weed through quite a few people to finally find the right team who were legit about their craft and the artistry of the product. Truthfully, I have been lucky enough to do more than two handfuls of "All Female Lineup" shows which gives me hope that we are now more confident in our star power and are building other ladies up in the process.

This is true, in a world so full of "above the surface" interactions and social media vixens it is easy to put females against each other. Unfortunately, it's in our nature to judge. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a twinkle of doubt when my gray hairs peak out and I see a pretty girl with good angles and a nice body show up in my Instagram search. I'd be a damned liar if I said I didn't get all self-conscious when I hear a dope song by a fresh face with awesome fashion sense. So, I just take a breather and remind myself that I can only be the best person I can be and as long as I am me people will gravitate. I don't need to please them all I just need to find the people who can relate to what I am presenting.

12) Any words you want to say to the people who have supported you?

SD: Thank You for take the time out of your busy lives to listen to little of me. Thank you for feeling the lyrics enough to sing along to them. Thank you for enjoying the product enough to re-post. Thank you for every comments and uplifting words along the way to give me new life when I was feeling mighty low. Family, friends!! None of this would have been possible without you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Music: @SadGirlSteelo - Thinking About You

New Music: @HopeMusic30 "Never Seen"

(New Ivan Album) @IvanBnw "Layers Of Reflection"